Clarify TDD in Robotlegs. Is my understanding of unit tests correct?

27 Apr, 2012 01:44 AM

Hi there, I bought the ActionScript Oreilly book for Robotlegs

In Chapter 10, Testing

I understand that usually for RL, we test these 4 classes

Test event dispatched by view results in correct event dispatched on the shared event dispatcher
  Test event received on shared dispatcher results in action on view

1) Am I correct?

2) If I follow those examples and download mockolate library, do I still need to use FlexMonkey or any other unit testing frameworks for Flex?

3) I cannot find via google an example of anyone hooking up jenkins with unit tests for Robotlegs. Does anyone know any examples that I can learn from?

Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by Stray on 27 Apr, 2012 11:28 AM

Hi Kimcity - just a quick response as I am in an airport.

We use jenkins on the current build of the Robotlegs 2 framework - so it would be worth checking out the repo on Github.

DevBoy (dominic graefen) is the main person who handles Jenkins for Robotlegs,!/devboy_org

but Simon Bailey (newtriks on github and twitter) also has some experience I think.!/newtriks

Both are very helpful.

As I understand it, FlexMonkey is an end-to-end GUI testing tool - that's different from a unit testing framework. Mockolate is a mocking library - we are using it alongside FlexUnit and ASUnit for our tests in the examples in the book. So, you would need FlexUnit 4 or ASUnit 3 to compile the tests in the book. (FlexUnit for the Kanban project, ASUnit for the Mosaic project), plus mockolate for the mocking library.

2. 2 Posted by kimcity on 28 Apr, 2012 01:36 AM

Thank you, Stray.

I have already sent out tweets to DevBoy (dominic graefen) and Simon.

I looked around the git repo for RL. I cannot find anything that can help me understand how to use Jenkins with FlexUnit for CI in a Flex 4.6 project.

In any case, I realize that RL uses FlexUnit 4.1, so I will be using that as well. Was looking at ASUnit at first.

My original question still remains:

I cannot find via google an example of anyone hooking up jenkins with unit tests for Robotlegs. Does anyone know any examples that I can learn from?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Shaun Smith on 28 Apr, 2012 05:52 PM

Hi Kimcity,

I can't give a step-by-step guide (as Dominic was kind enough to set everything up for us, so I'm not clear on all the details), but here is my understanding:

1. Write unit tests for your project
    2. Write a build script (using Ant or Buildr) that runs your tests and provides a report
    3. Configure Jenkins to run that script and read the report
    4. Configure Jenkins to checkout the code and run the tests whenever you do a commit (you can do this with a GitHub hook).

Jenkins seems to integrate really well with GitHub. Looking at the Jenkins config for Robotlegs I can that it has a field for "GitHub Project" which we have set to:

Further down it has repository settings which have set to:

We've also set it to run against the "version2" branch of that repository.

The "Build Trigger" is set to "Build when a change is pushed to GitHub".

The "Build Environment" has "Run Xvnc during build" selected. I assume this is to get the Flash player to launch on Linux.

The Execute Shell Command is set to:

bundle exec buildr clean test -e test

This is because Dominic set it up to do the build using Ruby Buildr instead of Ant.

Finally, under "Post-build Actions" we have "Publish JUnit test result report" set to "reports/flexunit4/TEST-*.xml"

I hope that helps a bit. Hopefully someone can provide more details.

4. Ondina D.F. closed this discussion on 27 Aug, 2012 10:37 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac